Sunday, April 8, 2012

PARIS!!! First Day

Maria, my host mom, told me that if I wanted to I could have 9 days off for Semana Santa (Holy Week), which is a very big holiday for the Spaniards.  Spain's southern region of Andalucia (where I live) hosts one of the biggest celebrations of Holy Week.  So I decided to go to Paris and then return on Friday so that I could have the weekend left to take in Semana Santa in Spain.

As soon as I found out that I had this time off I immediately contacted my friend Camille, who graciously said that I could come and stay with her even though it was very last minute!!  Camille has been to America and stayed with Barbara Gaston's family 5 times over the past 8 years.  In her last visits to the US I have really gotten close to her and have always really enjoyed our time together.  So needless to say I was overjoyed to be able to come see her in PARIS!!!

I left on Saturday and arrived around 3:15 pm.  She and her dad picked me up from the airport and took me to their flat.  That night we went to a birthday dinner for Camille's friend Sarah.  The dinner party was hosted at the Sarah's house and had a table embellished with rose petals, wine, and champagne!  After many wonderfully artistic appetizers and champagne, we ate a couscous dish that her parents from North Africa had prepared!



On Sunday we had lunch at a fabulous quaint restaurant that serves food from the South of France.  Camille informed me that this restaurant is very "fat," so it is very good but  they don't eat there very often.  The inside was so quaint and charming and the food was incredible!!  I had a steak in Roquefort cheese sauce and an apple pie for dessert.  However, my biggest accomplishment was eating black pudding (aka blood pudding)!  My whole life I never thought I would ever try a bit, but Camille's dad ordered it and offered me some.  To my surprise it tasted very good!!  But I just still can't believe that I actually put blood in my mouth... and ate it!!!!


Camille's charming parents!



The plate on the left is the blood pudding!!!!!


Here are some pictures that were taken on the walk to the restaurant.




After eating my first fabulous French meal, Camille and I went to the Eiffel Tower!!!!  The line to wait for the elevator was 3.5 hours long, so we decided to take the stairs!!  You can go up to the second level by stairs (1,021 steps!!), and then after that an elevator takes you to the top.  I am really glad we walked up!  It's so much fun to say that I climbed the steps of the Eiffel Tower and I really enjoyed the slow progression of the views of Paris!



I had no idea the the Eiffel Tower had all of these little curly cues, I just love them!!







Camille & I on the second level of the Tower!





View from the Second Floor!



We made it to the top!!





While Camille and I were waiting for the elevator, this man from Dubai wanted to get a picture with us giving a thumbs up.  I got such a kick out of this, so I had one taken too.  He said he was so happy to be talking to someone who understood him because the French would not speak with him.  He was under the impression that no one there new English, but all the younger people I talked to knew English really well!!  I had noticed that Camille wasn't really talking to him or his friend at all, and later she told me that she couldn't understand anything he was saying because of his accent!  So funny!!



At the bottom of the Eiffel Tower is a beautiful little park!
: )




1 comment:

  1. Wow these pictures are gorgeous! Especially with all the flowers out everywhere! What a wonderful vacation!

    ReplyDelete