Sunday, April 8, 2012

My Spanish Neighboor

There is a couple in their late 50's to early 60's that lives next door to us.  They come over almost every night to kiss the kids and play with them for a bit.  I have really taken a liking to the man, he is so sweet and dear and has a big potbelly.  A couple of weeks ago he told me that he was going to make a paella for lunch the next day so that I could try it.  Apparently he is a very good cook, so I was very excited to try his traditional Spanish dish!!

Paella is a very common Spanish plate that consists of yellow rice and usually seafood.  This one contained shrimp and squid of all various sizes.  As you can see some of the shrimp were huge!!  There were also little tiny whole baby squid that were the size of my fingernail.

I just love this picture of my neighbor, he looks so official in his apron!!  He was very excited to cook this for me, it was so sweet!!  Then, about a week later he brought over a sandwich for me to try as well. 



He made this squid dish a couple of weeks later!  On the right hand side is a tomato cut elegantly and on the right side is the head of a squid with his tentacles cut off with a pepper sauce on top!!



He also happens to be a doctor!  Two weeks ago I got sick. I thought it was a very bad cold at first, but it turned out to be a sinus infection  : (    Anyway, he heard I was sick and showed up at the house one morning in gray slacks, navy blazer, pink tie and pocket square with a very nice brown leather doctor's bag.  After looking me over, he prescribed me three medications.  It was my first experience with a doctor making a house call, and I loved every minute of it!!!  I really felt like I was in "Doctor Quinn Medicine Woman," which was my favorite show growing up!  He did the whole examination for free!  I was so touched by his kindness and generosity and will always remember the time when I had a doctor make a house call!!

1 comment:

  1. Wow he sounds like such a nice man to know!

    ReplyDelete