Saturday, March 17, 2012

Castle/Fortress in Antequera

On Monday, my uncle, aunt, and cousin drove me 3 hours back to Ecija (pronounced Eh-see-ca).  Here is a picture of the coast where my family is staying in Mijas Costa.  There's hardly any real "beach" area, the sea just gives way to land.



On the way to Ecija we stopped in Antequera, Spain!  Antequera is a small town surrounded by low mountains.  As with most cities in Spain's southern province of Andalusia, the town has a prominent Arabic influence due to the region's proximity to Morocco.



After walking around the town for a while, we explored the castle/fortress Alcazaba!!  The Moorish fortress was originally constructed in the 14th century on top of Roman ruins, but was later taken over by Christians.  You could still see the remnants of the Roman baths inside the fortress, it was really neat!  There was even a dungeon (aka hole in the ground with an iron grid on top) that was 3 meters by 6 meters where the prisoners were kept.   This was my first time in a really fortress, and it was so much fun to explore one that was so rich in cultural history!


Here are some of the spectacular views from the top of the towers!!!









Little church on a hill  : )



My beautiful cousin McKenna  : )


View through the little window of the castle



It was so much fun to have my family there with me!!
My aunt & uncle are such a good looking couple!!!




Right next to the fortress was a Muslim church that had been converted to a Catholic cathedral once the Christians took over the fortress.  Unfortunately the outside was undergoing construction, but here's some pictures...




There was also this really interesting looking building in the town.  I have no idea what it was or what it was used for but here are a few pictures of it as well...


This is a zoomed in shot of the centerpiece in the middle of the building.



Toward the end of our time in Antequera, a well dressed old man came up to my uncle and started talking to him completely in Spanish.  I came over to translate, but it became obvious early on that he wasn't going to pause his story so I could retell the fact in English.  Talked to me for 10 minutes about the land, his baptism, and what nationalities built what part of town.  He was very interesting, and when I thanked him and turned to leave he asked for a tip, lol. 


My family and I had lunch together on the plaza outside in Ecija before I had to return to work.  The food here is usually very salty, and I am still not quite used to it, but the artichoke hearts I had were amazing!

When I got back to the house, the kids I watch ran out and gave me besitos (little kisses) on the cheek and seemed genuinely happy to see me.  About 20 minutes after I arrived, my family stopped by to see the kids and meet the parents of the family I am staying with.  The kids acted very shy at first, but then Silvia wanted to wear on her flamenco outfit and put on a dance performance!  My family love it!!  Then the little 5 year old girl who lives in the house directly opposite of the one I am staying in, came running out to see my family too.  It was very fun and another truly lovely day with my family!

1 comment: